Seeing Trees: Discover the Extraordinary Secrets of Everyday Trees Author: Robert Llewellyn | Language: English | ISBN:
B00630JNTK | Format: PDF
Seeing Trees: Discover the Extraordinary Secrets of Everyday Trees Description
Have you ever seen the delicate flowers of a red maple? The emerging leaves of a tulip poplar? The twigs of a beech? When you look at a tree up close, you begin to appreciate trees in a whole new way. Seeing Trees invites readers to watch trees with the care and sensitivity that birdwatchers watch birds. Focusing on 10 common trees of North America, Nancy Ross Hugo highlights the rewards of tree viewing and describes some of the most visually interesting leaves, flowers, fruits, buds, leaf scars, twigs, and bark of familiar trees. Using software developed for work with microscopes, Robert Llewellyn created incredibly sharp close-up photographs of the tree detail by stitching together 8 to 45 images of each subject—each shot at a different focal point. The combination of these lavish photos with Nancy Ross Hugo’s writing makes each page come alive with the beauty of the growing process. The result is a gorgeous journey into the life cycle of trees.
Featured trees include the American Beech, Ginkgo, Red Maple, Southern Magnolia, Tulip Poplar, White Oak, White Pine, American Sycamore, Black Walnut and Eastern Red Cedar.
- File Size: 7897 KB
- Print Length: 245 pages
- Publisher: Timber Press (November 3, 2011)
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00630JNTK
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray:
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #422,883 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #48
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Science > Biological Sciences > Plants > Trees
- #48
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Science > Biological Sciences > Plants > Trees
This is a must have book for anyone interested in learning more about the common trees that populate your streets and yard. It shows close up and in stunning detail photos of the leaves, flowers, bark, and reproductive parts. The photography was done using a microscope and multiple shots of the same tree parts that are then stitched together to create a closeup that is seldom seen.
I photograph trees for the Botanical Garden where the author used to work. As a volunteer I am helping to create a Tree Tour that will soon be released for public education. I read this book with awe and confirmation on things I have photographed on many of the trees covered in the book but was not sure I got my facts right even after a full search. I also learned so much more than I could find on-line from the detail writing and photographs.
I would recommend this book to parents with children of all ages, even young children as they can be the most observant and very cleaver in what they see. As the adult read the book and then find the trees in your neighborhood. Have your children go through this process with you by collecting samples of the tree parts and leaning why they look the way they do or how they function. Even children under 4 will enjoy collecting and pressing leaves throughout the season and discovering the hard to find flowers of many deciduous trees. For older children that are curious about how trees reproduce and are of an age to start teaching them "the facts of life" this is a gentle way to take them through the process allowing them to appreciate the beauty and complexity of reproduction.
As a botanist I appreciate that she kept the language nontechnical as many people are turned off by the use of Latin and complicated ways botanist call tree parts.
Trees are all around us. We see trees everywhere, whether we live in the city or the country, but do we really look at them and appreciate them? Or have they become commonplace, a part of the scenery? Seeing Trees takes a close up look at many trees we pass by everyday.
As a bird watcher I am familiar with a lot of trees as both a home for the birds and as their food source. I spend a lot of time seeing the trees up close through my binoculars or camera lens as I'm following the birds. I have gone on nature trail tree walks and observed the trees and their structure, but this book goes a step further and delves into the fascinating detail of the smallest individual parts of the tree.
Seeing Trees is not just descriptions of trees, it is also a fantastic display of photography. Using special software, photographer Robert Llewellyn has produced gorgeous close up images of various parts of the tree. The images were produced by stitching together multiple photos taken at different focal points to create incredibly sharp and detailed photos.
The book is divided into two main parts, the first third discusses the different traits of trees such as leaves, flowers, fruit, buds, bark and twigs and the remainder is an intimate look at ten featured trees (American Beech, Ginkgo, Red Maple, Southern Magnolia, Tulip Poplar, White Oak, White Pine, American Sycamore, Black Walnut and Eastern Red Cedar), all common in North America. Interesting facts are presented in an easy to understand, conversational format. Spread throughout the text are the beautiful, detailed photos that I can't say enough wonderful things about.
The more you look at a tree the more you will see. Two of the ten featured trees are ones I have in my own yard.
Seeing Trees: Discover the Extraordinary Secrets of Everyday Trees Preview
Link
Please Wait...