"What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty Author: Visit Amazon's Peter Mayle Page | Language: English | ISBN:
0818403128 | Format: EPUB
"What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty Description
- Age Range: 9 and up
- Grade Level: 4 and up
- Paperback: 188 pages
- Publisher: Lyle Stuart (August 1, 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0818403128
- ISBN-13: 978-0818403125
- Product Dimensions: 9.3 x 9.2 x 0.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 5.6 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
My parents read both this book and "Where did I come from?" to me when they were first published in the mid-seventies (I was born in 1970). I don't remember feeling awkward or embarrassed about the books. I was at an age where everything was pre-sexual. I had no social hang-ups about my body parts. I remember very clearly starting elementary school about this time and I was able to understand what all the innuendos were about. Yes, sexual innuendos by many other children that couldn't have been older than nine. I remember other kids laughing at the girl who really believed that children came from the cabbage patch! I remember one of my friends crying and running to her mother when she caught our friend Kenny using the toilet while standing up. She though he had a horrible tumor.
I never had any confusion about how the sexual process worked. I grew up with a healthy respect for abstinence and a deep understanding of what can really happen when one has intercourse early. I knew that one day I would have a menstrual cycle all my own and that it wasn't really "a curse that women have to bear because they are they weaker vessel" as was said around my town.
I remember the illustrations being fun and colorful. Language is used that is respectful, but not overtly sexual or enticing. They're probably a little dated by now.
Just now I was looking for these books so I can buy them to read to my 2 ? year old son. He already is able to understand the basic differences between men and women. He has a penis (he tells me) and Momma doesn't. Momma has a vagina (although his pronunciation is a little shaky) and that's where babies come out.
"What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty Preview
Link
Please Wait...