• About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Download epub books

This is a listing of over 100 sites that offer all their ebooks for free download in ePub format.

  • Home
  • How To Download
  • Computer
  • Engineering
  • Medical
  • Mystery
Home » Education » Download Epub PWN the SAT: Math Guide

Download Epub PWN the SAT: Math Guide

admin
Add Comment
Education
Friday, July 12, 2013

PWN the SAT: Math Guide

Author: Visit Amazon's Mike McClenathan Page | Language: English | ISBN: 1481883348 | Format: PDF

PWN the SAT: Math Guide Description

Review

I went through a crapload of resources while studying for the SAT. If you want one that results in EFFICIENT studying, PWN the SAT's book is, without doubt, the best. His problems are also hilarious--you might even enjoy studying for the SAT. :) 
Jeff L., Seattle, WA

You raised me up from a child to a grown man. I can now say I pwn'd the SAT!!!
Sulman K., Brooklyn, NY --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

From the Author

This seems like a good place to answer a few Frequently Asked Questions:

What does "PWN" mean?
Basically, it means "to completely dominate." It comes from old school videogaming, when trash talk had to be typed, not shrieked into a headset. Because time spent typing was time spent as a sitting duck, nobody ever fixed typos in those days. So "pwn" was a frequent typo of "own" that got legs and is now used in gamer circles on purpose. It's pronounced "pone," not "pawn."

Why on earth would you call your book that?
My girlfriend and mom are the most frequent askers of this question. They're convinced that if I changed the name, I'd suddenly sell a million books! But I had a very specific student in mind as I wrote this book: my 15-year old self. I was my school's top math student, but I was dogmatic in my belief that problems could only be solved "the math way." That served me well in every arena except for the SAT, where my insistence on brute-force math, rather than nimble problem solving, cost me a perfect 800.

How do I know it cost me a perfect 800? Because now, years removed from that experience, I get perfect 800s doing the test the way I describe in this book--and I have fun doing it. I wrote this book to try to help kids like the Old Me (strong math students who aren't happy with their SAT scores) learn to approach the test like the New Me. I love math, and there's plenty of it in the book, but there's also a plethora of alternative solutions. 

Will I like this book if I didn't know what "pwn" meant until just now?
If you're a strong math student who's looking to improve your SAT score, then I think so. The book isn't full of words like "pwn"--just the title. 

What makes this book better than all the others available?
"Better" is in the eye of the beholder, but here are a few things that make my book unique:
  • Each chapter is followed by a listing of all the questions in the College Board's own Official SAT Study Guide (AKA "Blue Book") that are susceptible to the techniques I've just described. This is not the kitchen-sink approach to test prep--the techniques I advocate will apply on the real test.
  • The back of the book contains another breakdown of each test in the Blue Book. This one helps students keep track of their mistakes and identify topics they need to work on.
  • Each of the drills in my book has hand-written solutions. I think it's helpful to see math worked out the same way a student will have to do it on test day.
  • I don't spend too much time on the basics kids already know; I get right into the stuff I always see students struggle with.
Note: typos that appeared on pages 98, 100, and 164 in early printings have been fixed. If you purchase a new copy today, you need not take any action. If you purchase a used copy, please visit mathguide.pwnthesat.com to download replacement pages.
See all Editorial Reviews
  • Product Details
  • Table of Contents
  • Reviews
  • Paperback: 348 pages
  • Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform; 2nd edition (January 4, 2013)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1481883348
  • ISBN-13: 978-1481883344
  • Product Dimensions: 11 x 8.5 x 0.7 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 2.1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
I am a tutor in Central NJ and an adjunct math instructor at a local college. I have reviewed most of the study guides out there and this one wins -- although Philip Keller's The New Math SAT Game Plan is a close second. Both of these books really get into the mindset of what is required to do well on SAT math, but Mike's book is a little meatier. If I had a student who contacted me late for prep, I'd go with Keller's book since it is more streamlined, but otherwise for the student who is allowing adequate prep time I'd go with Mike's book.

I was skeptical to purchase and inspect Mike's book with "Pwn" in the title, but with all of the glowing recommendations I decided to give it a try. I'm in my 50s and had to google the meaning of "pwn." Apparently, it means to own or dominate used predominantly in the vernacular of video gamers; it seems Mike is a gamer himself, but brings a lot more to the table. Notwithstanding the colloquialism used in the title, this is a serious book that is written to and for a teen looking to optimize his or her performance on SAT Math.

Mike is an extremely intelligent individual whose book reflects his 2400 score. He knows his stuff inside and out and understands the roadblocks that prevent students from doing their best. Not everyone is a 700+ scorer, but everyone can and should get the score that accurately reflects his or her best test taking on the big day. More importantly, he writes in a casual,lively, entertaining tone. It is easy to see that he genuinely cares for his audience. It makes more sense to use an SAT book written by someone with the personal credentials to write it rather than the "written by committee" textbooks of the national prep companies. It really is a hidden gem.
First of all I received this book as part of a free giveaway on tumblr, which was awesome of Mike to do. I would have never considered buying it because I don't own any prep books, I just get them from the library. So I was really thankful to receive the book from the giveaway.

I took the SAT in January before receiving the math book and got a 680 in the math section. I'd always been okay in math but I'd never got over a 700, like on practice tests or PSATs or anything. After receiving the book in February I started studying. I finished most of the book did two of the diagnostic problem sets. I felt way more prepared than I had in january, but I was amazed when I got my results back from the June SAT and I saw I had scored a 790! The book helped me so much; I definitely couldn't have increased my score that much without its help.

The layout of the book is simple and easy to follow. I really appreciated the way the book was written - it's just like talking to a friend. He puts some jokes in there and some crazy stuff which made me laugh, making studying more interesting. It's pretty hard for me to concentrate for long periods of time so I really appreciated the humor and I didn't think it was distracting. I liked how he put the information out there really matter of factly. Like, This is what you need to know, this is how likely you'll see it on the test. Don't worry about this, but make sure you know how to do this. It's not like one of those books where they're trying to trick you or give you really vague information or make you feel dumb when you're reading it. You can tell he just wants you to do well. The strategies and techniques were extremely helpful especially under time pressure during the test.

PWN the SAT: Math Guide Preview

Link

Please Wait...

0 Response to "Download Epub PWN the SAT: Math Guide"

← Newer Post Older Post → Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Label

  • Art
  • Biography
  • Business
  • Calendars
  • Children
  • Comics
  • Computer
  • Cookbooks
  • Craft
  • Education
  • Engineering
  • Health
  • History
  • Humor
  • Literature
  • Medical
  • Mystery
  • Parenting
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Romance
  • Science
  • Science Fiction
  • Self Help
  • Sports
  • Teen

Page

  • Home
Powered by Blogger.
Copyright 2013 Download epub books - All Rights Reserved Design by Mas Sugeng - Powered by Blogger and Google